1. First, you need to purchase the game disk and have the CD key.
2. Insert the installation CD or DVD
3. Fire up the terminal and type:
cp -r /cdrom/Install/Data/baseq2 / /quake2
4. Then, download the native GNU/Linux client quake2-3.20-glibc-i386-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake2/unix/quake2-3.20-glibc-i386-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz
For UBUNTU or DEBIAN: quake2-data_13_all.deb
cd / /quake2
tar xvzf quake2-3.20-glibc-i386-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz
5. Launch the installer.
echo \#\!/bin/sh > quake2_
echo cd \"/quake2\" >> quake2_
echo exec ./quake2 \"\$\@\" >> quake2_
8. To start the game, run the following command in the terminal:
./quake2 +set vid_ref glx
Quake 2 on Ubuntu
Play one of 1997's best games on your Linux machine then here you go (you will need the original Quake2 CD).
Download and install the quake2-data package from any of these mirrors: http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/all/quake2-data/download
You will then need to insert the CD, and run the following command at the console:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure quake2-data
You will need to insert the CD mount point, on Ubuntu this is probably /media/Quake2
If you opt to install the point release update then you will also have to specify where to download the file to. /home will work fine.
Once this is done you will need to download a Linux compatible Quake2 engine - I used yamagi (download the yamagi quake2 deb) http://deponie.yamagi.org/quake2/debs/i386/yamagi-quake2_2.11-1_i386.deb
Then just run yamagiq2 from the terminal, and have Fun!
Keep on Fragging!!
Heres articles on on How to run Quake or Quake 2 a Linux or Ubuntu.